Coatesville is a city in Chester County, Pennsylvania, United States. Before Coatesville became a city, the only one in Chester County, it was called Bridge-Town, after the two bridges crossing the Brandywine River. A village named “Midway”, named after its station owned by the Philadelphia and Columbia Railroad midway between Philadelphia and Lancaster, was formed in 1834 on the western bank of the Brandywine. As Lukens Steel grew so did Coatesville, eventually becoming known as the “Pittsburgh of the East.” Since the turn of the century, Coatesville has invested in redevelopment, encouraging private projects.
The Coatesville Historic District, Clement Atkinson Memorial Hospital, High Bridge, Abram Huston House and Carriage House, Lukens Historic District, Lukens Main Office Building, National Bank of Coatesville Building, and Terracina are resources listed on the National Register of Historic Places.